Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Personal Testimonio


 What We Have Gained From the Harshness
X, who is one of my close friends, who is different than me about many things, but still has a wonderful soul that feeds my existence. Also, she is one of my mirrors that reflect many good things that enrich me. All of my close friends are very different from each other and if I make them to come together in one place, I guess they will not get along with each other pretty well. Despite this, I found unique commonness or goodness in all their different soul foundations. In the past, we were staying together for several months and during the cold seasons; we were sleeping in the same bed crosswise because of lack of bed in the warm room in Istanbul. We were comforting each other every time when we felt down on the life paths or felt in love with someone who hurt us and so forth. Things that I have been seen in her mirror are making me good and think deeper.
This month, X asked me if she opens her headscarf what God’s impression would be about her. “Can Allah still love me, or not,” she asked. I said, sure, if this choice; wearing the headscarf is our only one virtue about us in front of Allah, we would rather not exist. She felt better. Both of us had to leave, or another word kicked out from, our schools because of scarf ban in Turkey’s public schools. We were resisting this inhumane policy and refused to open our headscarves and this resistance cost us to change our destiny paths. Even when I was a child, from 6th grade to 9th grade, I continued to study in the private school in a hidden class room. Some of my friends and I had to be locked up if some inspectors were visiting our school. The building was an additional building inside the main school’s garden and did not have any restroom, so we always need to get permission to use the restrooms to not risk the school authority. Another thing, once, I have applied to a poetry competition and won, but the school authority decided to pick someone from my classroom who were not wearing a headscarf and brought her to the award ceremony with me and introduce her with my name and made me clap to congratulate her. They made someone play my identity in a fake person’s appearance which can fit and fulfill to the system’s wish. For me, it was very a respectful mistreatment. This is only a sample of a big picture of what I have been experiencing for many years just to reach an upper education. I had to leave my country and come to the U.S. to continue my educational life here with all the financial and emotional harshness. Because of the headscarf ban discrimination  we were hospitalized by police forces during our protests and many of our goals had to be postponed. The system did not accept us to take national university exam, so we could not go to university. Finally, she gained some certification about journalism and nowadays became a director of a news agency.
After a decade, this year Turkey’s president started to soften the scarf ban in Turkish public schools. Nowadays, we can be a student in the universities, but not an instructor. Even the Conservative Party not want to solve the problem very quickly after more than a decade of being the government party to use/abuse this topic as a hot button for the next election. Despite all these slow changes, I am still trying to graduate after all many years of financial struggle as an international student and she is still waiting for me to open our book cafe together in the near future. Sometimes, life seems like a whole big postponing.
I could only use my unique education story for this testimonio, but I decided to share this opportunity with my close friend X, because she is a part of my life, too, and our last conversation captured my feelings extremely. In addition, I believe that all friends or people that we know can take and exchange destiny from each other. Her questions and worries about her new potential decision made me think more and more. I liked my first reaction to her when I am thinking back to that day. She is my best friend even though she decided to open her headscarf or not, even if she would change her religion… But, the issue here is why she is thinking to make this decision. We talked together about this just to understand her better.  She is scared to make this step and felt bad and guilty. I emphasized that I support her both possible decisions. I understand her very well and she said that even being understood by me without judging is a big gift for her. We are tired of having the headscarf as a master status in the society. We just want to make it only one of our decisions, but it is impossible because of individual and institutional practices against our religion and its dress codes.
I do not wear the headscarf as a result of fear of God. I am no more feeling a belongingness of a specific frame of religion. I still feed my soul from the foundation and wisdom of Islam, but my soul stepped over beyond the all religions which also include them, not exclude. Although, I still wear it because I like the philosophy and meaning of it. She is confused and thinking to not wear it anymore, because she is tired of discriminations. I feel her pain. We thought together, why this is happening after all those struggles. And, we realized that when the secular system forced us to open our headscarves and be a different person than what we believe and want, made us to practice this choice very hard. After the scarf ban become weaker, we just realized how were are tired psychologically and exhausted. That’s why she started to think this decision when we almost reach our freedom in public. The ironic part is that she might have similar problem in the future because of her new decision based on the new Turkish political atmosphere. Half of our lives passed just to explain our reasons for why we are wearing this headscarves and how we have problems to continue our educational lives in public schools and experiencing insults in the society. Unfortunately and probably, the rest of her life might have to pass just to explain why she decided to not wear it. Thinking about his made we laugh sourly.
I still want to keep my headscarf in my life, because by this practice I can eliminate most of the discriminative external appearance obsessed people from my life. Headscarf is like a litmus paper for people in my life. Yes, the results can be so sad for me sometimes and make me crass to some invisible Berlin Walls, but I still like many of its functions. I am trying to be myself and head is scarf one part of this. Who can tear down his or her invisible Berlin Walls, they can reach my mind and soul and can gain a real friend. Only with these people, we can share our intellectual worlds with each other. And, who can crash this litmus head scarf; he or she can stay away from my life. Despite the individual part, the institutional discrimination hurts more, but these sharpen my character and open many new and sometimes uneven paths which enrich me, too. Headscarf gave me some auto control ability and power to resist external control on my body. I feel really free with it and have more ability to share my privacy to share or not share it with someone. However, I do not like a stable mind. My life and realities can change, but I resist keeping my sincerity until I die. Life is a journey and all the things that we come across on its paths shape us, hopefully toward to a better character. I wish this for my close friend X, too. What we have gained from the harshness of the society is their loss and we will use this wisdom to make our world a better place at least for some people. 
Meryem Rabia Tasbilek


No comments:

Post a Comment